what qualities do you need
- Patience. Your patience will be tested in Nepal even though there is schedule, being late is very common. You will learn how to cope with this cultural difference.
- Flexibility. There are a lot of festivals in Nepal. So it might happen that there won't be classes / the shops are closed / public transport won't be driving for a day or couple of days. This means you get more time to explore locality and culture or visit another city!
- Creativity. A lot of methods, material and physical help that you have in western countries you will not find in Nepal. Be creative and find ways to complete your activities.
- Attitude. Most of the children and Nepali will not be able to speak proper English. Use gestures, signs and your positive attitude to show them what you want. Be enthusiastic and they will understand a lot!
- Teaching. Eager to learn and teach something to the children and Nepali. We are stimulating the children and Nepali to learn and develop and you, as volunteer are the teacher. Knowledge of some creative activities would be very useful.
- Kind and loving. Be kind and loving to the children, they have experienced a lot and it is important that you show kindness and patience towards the children. The use of physical punishment is strictly prohibited and will not be tolerated.
- Open minded. Your stay in Nepal will not be luxurous. Please be respectful towards their homes and customs. It will value your own home even more!
- Respect. Listen to what the Nepali have to say. Your way does not always have to be the right way. You can learn a lot of the Nepali!