In Nepal, there are many children and youngsters with mental or physical disabilities. When you have a disability in Nepal it is viewed as a mistake and that you have done something bad in your past life. Families are ashamed of their children and keep their children isolated from the outside world or they put them on the streets and in children's homes.
Fortunately, more and more schools care for children with special needs. Most of these schools do not have the right resources, finances or knowledge to help these children optimally.
Special education always needs volunteers who have studied physiotherapy, occupational therapy, pedagogy, music or art therapy, teachers or other social studies. Your tasks will depend on your job/study.
As a volunteer your duties would be
- Execute specific tasks related to your job / study.
- Assist or execute activities from Sunday to Friday for 5 hours a day.
- Assist in the classrooms during mealtimes.
- Support the children during assignments.
- Physical support, think of moving or lifting them in and out of the wheelchair.
- Stimulating the children through games and exercises.
- Tips and advice to teachers.
- Design and implementation of activities and the required materials.
- Help organize activities during festivals.
- Supporting the shop where the children make jewelry to sell